See how Tranquil Shores Foundation is changing the face of addiction.
There wasn’t a dry eye in the house when Jimmy Johnson addressed the 200 plus alumni group from Tranquil Shores on Saturday. Telling the audience that the Super Bowl ring on his finger was nothing compared to what the alumni have achieved in pursuing a sober life, Jimmy brought a big check with him to the event as well!
We are thrilled to accept his donation of $20,000.00 to better the lives of those who are in need of recovery services. Thank you very much Mr. Johnson!
For many parents with substance use disorders or for caregivers of children affected; isolationon, anger, fear, and feelings of abandonment are all real. For children, these same emotions are even more complex and harder to manage without support.
Here’s how we made a difference in these areas this year:
- Hope Scholarship Program: A 37% increase in therapy sessions lead to healing and renewed hope for 12 children affected by addiction. The 135 sessions completed included equine, play, and counseling services. Families also received comprehensive supports including in-school advocacy, coaching, gatherings, 10 weeks of summer camp & holiday gifts.
- Tranquil Shores Cares Education: 46 Parents and caregivers completed the newly created Healing HeARTs training. They reported learning how to better nurture the emotional development of their kids and receiving new parenting resources to help their kids grow up healthy and happy.
- Healing HeART Kits: 124 kids received their very own art kits. Each kit was designed to teach kids about how art can be a healthy outlet to express themselves and a fun tool to build a memory with their loved ones.
- Substance Abuse Prevention & Awareness: Countless parents, caregivers, businesses, and community members heard our prevention message through presentations at the following events: Celebrate Recovery, The Pete O’Shea Radio Show AM 1110, St. Pete West Rotary, Lealman Adopt a Block Family Fun Fair, Highland Back to School Expo, Give Day Tampa Bay, 2015 Charity Golf Classic Luncheon, a Career Fair for students, & through a sponsorship of the Seminole Jr. Warhawks Baseball team.
For many parents with substance use disorders and for caregivers of children affected by substance abuse or addiction; isolation, anger, fear, embarrassment, and feelings of abandonment are all real. For children, these same emotions are complex and even harder to manage without support. At the Tranquil Shores Children’s Foundation we believe that families are resilient, prevention efforts help, treatment is effective, and that there is hope in recovery!
- Children completed 84 therapy sessions through our Hope Scholarships. Therapy included equine, play, and counseling. Their families also received comprehensive supports including: in-school advocacy, parent/caregiver coaching, opportunities to come together through Universal Music Day, and financial assistance with holiday gifts & basic needs.
- Parents in recovery increased their knowledge of healthy child development through monthly parenting resources on School Readiness, Raising Teens, How to Create a Nurturing Home, The Cycle of Addiction, & Parenting While in Recovery.
- 92 children experienced the love that comes with receiving a Healing HeART “art kit” – a toolkit to help nurture relationships between children and parents/caregivers through art.
- All 5th graders at Azalea Elem. School learned about the dangers of substance use through the class “SAY WHAT?! Substance Abuse & You” approved by Pinellas Co. Schools this year.
- Community awareness was increased through mission presentations at: A Night of Art & Hope Exhibit, The 3rd Charity Golf Classic, Tampa Bay Beaches Chamber of Commerce, Juvenile Welfare Board, Celebrate Recovery, & Back to School Fairs.
- Partnerships resulted in two St. Pete College Human Services interns being better prepared to work with families affected by substance abuse. Sponsorships were also awarded to MADD, BBBS, and R’ Club in support of their work with at-risk youth.